Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:26:21 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xe (xircom) driver no longer in MAKEDEV

> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:40:49 +0100
> From: fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk>
>
> > The xe driver is not available as a loadable module, so you will not
> > get any if_xe.ko file in /modules. This is also normal.
>
> ok, thanks.
>
> > The most likely problem is in the IRQ assignment. How is your pcic
> > device configured? Can you provide a dmesg of the system bootstrap.
>
> ok, reconfigured the irqs & everything is excellent.  thanks very much.
>
> if you have the time could you explain why even though i don't have irq 9
> configured that is what is used ?  it seems to be the irq for the pci
> bridge, does it also need to allocate an additional to map to the card
> itself ?

Once again, the output of dmesg and the PCIC kernel configuration info
would help a lot. Without it I'm only guessing.

Are you running stable? 4.4-release? The pccard code was heavily
revamped for 4.4 to use interrupt sharing. If you use the default
setup, the interrupts for your pccards will share the PCIC controller
interrupt. The irq line in pccard.conf will simply be ignored.

A quick check of this is "vmstat -i". If you are using shared PCI
interrupts, you will see neither the xe nor the PCIC listed. Instead
you will see a "mux" device at the IRQ of the PCIC. That is the
combination of the PCIC interrupts and those of the cards plugged into
it.

If I've guessed wrong, please include dmesg showing the boot through
device probes and the PCIC kernel config line(s).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)