Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:34:55 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Nguyen Manh Tho" <manhtho@yahoo.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <nmtho@dit.hcmut.edu.vn>
Subject:   RE: Could I use the dhcp.bind to query the machine accessing to my Server ?

Hi,

> An example of one line in that file is:
> 1:0x00004c438911:192.168.1.0:1:0x00004c438911:"Thu Dec
>  3 19:15:11 1998":0068
>
> I have some question here:
>
> Is "1:0x00004c438911" the MAC address of the accessing
> computer?

Propably Yes.

> Is "Thu Dec  3 19:15:11 1998" is the date and time of
> accessing?

No, its the date when the IP address where leased.

> And is "0068" the number of that computer which is
> stored is the file dhcpdb.pool?

Dont, know, probably the time that this computer its allowed to have this IP
address, or the last octet of the IP address asigned to this computer in the
192.168.1.0 network, you should paste in here  more lines of your file to
determine the real use for this one.

> But which computer has the IP address "192.168.1.0"?

No one, its supposed to be the network number from which the sever will
assign ip addresses to the computers.

> Because I've found that all the lines in dhcpdb.bind
> have the same one ("192.168.1.0"). What's is the real
> IP address of the machine access ?

Dont know, probably the  "0068" number mentioned in the last sentence, like
I told you, Im not familiar with your dhcp server, so it would be nice to
see more of the files that you have arround.

> Another question is what is the usage of the file
> dhcpdb.bind? Is it the database that the DHCP Server
> will use for leasesing IP automatically.

No, it is the database where the dhcp server stores the information after
leasing an ip address, and it is used to avoid ip conflicts.

The file that the dhcp server uses for leasing IPs, should be in "/etc" or
"/usr/local/etc", where you have to configure the networks, the ip ranges,
the leases time, the routers to give to the users, etc.

> Now our Univesity is very interested in the security
> problem  of our Internet system, could we use that
> file to inquire who had accessed our system?

No, John Russell have told you this allready.

Greeetings...
Ales