Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:30:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        click46 <click46@webpimps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of hard drive space?

click46 wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hello,
> 	Just downloaded FreeBSD 4.1 and then proceeded to install Apache. After
> getting Apache to start, I went and *tried* to gunzip -d
> php-4.0.1pl2.tar.gz, it returns "/kernel: pid 288 (gunzip), uid 0 on /:
> file system full"

Sounds like you tried to uncompress the archive somewhere on the /
partition (perhaps you tried it in /tmp?).  /, by nature, is a very small
partition, and shouldn't be used for temp archive extractions, anyway.

Delete what it has uncompressed to free up the space you lost on /, and
try to extract it elsewhere (i.e., somewhere under /usr, which will be
much larger).

> I used defaults for partitions, and the drive is a 1.7GB. How can I tell
> how much space is left on a partition/drive and

Use the ``df'' command.  The 1K-blocks column represents the size of the
drive, in kilobytes (divide by factors of 2^10 to get megabytes,
gigabytes, etc)  "Used" is the amount of space that has been used (again,
in 1K blocks).  "Avail" is the amount of space remaining.

> why would I get something like this.

Just like the error message states, you ran out of space.  Make sure that
you start the uncompression on a filesystem that is large enough to handle
it.

> I tried to gunzip them while logged on as root and in the /root/
> directory.

Unless you mount it by itself, or symlink from elsewhere, the /root/
directory is stored on the / partition.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> lates,
> click46

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2