Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 16:42:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@Mlink.NET>
To:        Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap..

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Christopher Palmer wrote:

[...]

: As for FreeBSD, there was a thread here a while back about FreeBSD also
: being real aggressive about using available memory (although in a
: different way than Linux; again, Good and Desirable from a certain pov).
: It was suggested that people allocate more space for swap than they think
: they need, because FreeBSD is going to hit swap hard.

CPU states:  3.8% user,  1.3% nice,  3.8% system,  0.0% interrupt, 91.1% idle
Mem: 90M Active, 9948K Inact, 15M Wired, 7600K Cache, 8337K Buf, 1488K Free
Swap: 256M Total, 256M Free

Well, it's hitting the hell outta my ram but never touching the swap,
which honestly, is how I personally like it. Reguardless of that, it IS
fast as hell, especially I find with compiling, and I did notice that
Netscape starts alot faster under FreeBSD for me then it did for Linux..
but oh well..

[...]

: >From the point of view of processes, disk and memory are the same. It's up

Well, maybe from the proccesses point of view, but it seems to me that my
ram is alot faster than my HD.. However, maybe I should just spring for
some fast SCSI drives... lol.

[...]

Disclaimer: All opinions stated here are just that, opinions. They are NOT
            meant to start any type of "Linux vs. FreeBSD" war on this
            mailing list.

--
Mail: matt@mlink.net && matt@ccia.cc
@IRC: irc.idirect.ca && mlink.ca.relic.net