Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:54:37 +0200
From:      Ekkehard Morgenstern <ekkehard.morgenstern@onlinehome.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Systems programming on FreeBSD

On Monday 02 October 2006 12:24, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Many aren't documented, but section 4 of the manpages is the place
> where they are suppose to be documented... if you look at netintro(4),
> you'll see a few for network devices..
> A few others like agp(4), bpf(4) and meteor(4) have ioctl's described...

Thanks, now that you mention it, I found some information that I was looking
for, with a manpage browser, about the sound driver. :-)

> For the others, often the definitions in the header file is usually
> enough, as they sometimes also contains comments describing them...

Unfortunately, the ATA / ATAPI include files don't contain much information
regarding the use of the ioctl()s. Should I use the CAM pass/xpt devices
instead? I would like to access raw data on a CD drive (in particular,
subchannel info from an audio CD).

> Good luck...

Thanks, I need plenty of that!