Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:27:12 -0700
From:      Lee Brown <leeb@ratnaling.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot access a couple websites

Probably not at all related, but I had a similar problem, youtube
worked fine, but cnn would get partial page loads, through a box
NATing a public IP.

The culprit for me was MTU was wrong.  I had FreeBSD in a Xen VM,
using the FreeBSD xn driver utilizing VLAN's.  When I used VLAN's on
that driver it changed the MTU (manpage does warn of this) from 1500
to 1496.  What I was seeing was ICMP need-to-fragment packets sent
from the FreeBSD box, which the Linux router upstream just dropped.

The fix for me was to create the VLAN in Xen, so the MTU was correct
and access the NIC as a non-vlan NIC within the VM.
Traceroute worked, pings worked, PC's OK on some sites, 'droids all failed.