Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:55:41 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting the default MAX Stack size

On Friday 20 July 2001 10:08 am, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > > How about something like
> > >
> > >     options   MAXSSIZ="(256UL*1024*1024)"
> > >
> > > in your config file?
> >
> > This increases the maximum user space stack size, not the
> > stack size in the kernel.
> >
> > If this is what he meant, then yeah, this will do it;
>
> I too was initially confused but I believe this is what he
>
> meant based on the following (from his email):
> > > The program that is being used is by one of our developers and it
> > > is using recursion internally to do smog particle simulation over
> > > many frames (visual effects).  Or systems are installed with
> > > 2GB of memory and they set there stack size to 128MB (from 64MB).
>
> Stranger things have happened but I didn't think the Disney
> folks had implemented smog particle simulation in the kernel
> space:-)
>
> Your original comment about rewriting kernel code to use less
> space is equally valid for user code but Pirzyk probably
> wanted a quick fix first.

This is what I get for being sufficiently vague in my inital
email.  We would have some software developers that would like
to implement the particle simulations in the kernel so they could
run faster :)

Yes we could get them to rewrite the code, but since the increase
of swap to the availble memory was not drastic, I though this would
be the best answer for all.

Thanks all.

- JimP
--