Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2013 15:06:07 +0100
From:      Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org list" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ip_output()/if_output() behaviour

On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> On 11/29/13, 5:42 PM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> On Nov 29, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Which error(s) ?
>> ENOBUFS, but does it matter? What is the correct reaction to
>> ip_output() returning an error? The SCTP stack assumes that the
>> packet was not put on the wire. With the current version of the
>> igb driver we are wrong. igb_mq_start() might return an error,
>> even if the packets was enqueued successfully (in case
>> igb_mq_start_locked() fails).
>>=20
>> But the SCTP stacks assumes in general that if ip_output() returns
>> an error, the packet didn't make it out.
> =46rom my memory it's always been the case that you really have little
> idea if the packet makes it out onto the wire or not.
> In the past it's been the case that an error indicates that it =
probably DIDN'T make it out, but
> the converse is not true.. NO error is not an indication of success.
> I'm surprised that you could get an error when it was broadcast =
however.. that is counter
> to the last 30 years of behaviour.
ifnet(9) says:

           if_transmit()
           Transmit a packet on an interface or queue it if the =
interface is
           in use.  This function will return ENOBUFS if the devices =
software
           and hardware queues are both full.  ...

So I guess returning ENOBUFS when the packet was queued is wrong...

Any comments?

Best regards
Michael