Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
To:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: offtopic: Server questions

There isn't really a "good" about of time for a server to be up.  I've had
servers that ran for two years without a reboot flawlessly.  I've also had
heavily loaded machines that needed to be rebooted once a week.

It's a matter of two things really, what the box is doing relative to the
hardware it has and personal preference.

I have a webserver that gets moderate traffic that I reboot once every
other month, just to clean out zombied processes and whatnot.  I have a
desktop machine at home that runs my lan as a router that hasn't been
rebooted since March when I set it up.

Hope this helps.

--Damon

                           _ _