Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2010 23:06:40 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mdf@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Schedule for releases

On 21 Dec 2010, at 22:59, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1012212215320.36028@fledge.watson.org>, =
Robert Wats
> on writes:
>=20
>> Looking at 7.x, I'm struck by how much it has slowed down.  There's a=20=

>> significant user community, but not a significant developer =
community.
>=20
> This is a very important point to interpret correctly:
>=20
> 	FreeBSD is whatever its developers make it be.

Agreed entirely.

> A more structured and more desirabe option is to channel such funds
> through either the foundation or a commercial entity, who then pays
> developers to pay attention to 7.x
>=20
> Companies who use Open Source are not adverse to paying for the
> service they get, but somebody needs to make it easy for them.

Yeah, I think we pretty much agree on this: someone needs to do the work =
within the community. I don't doubt dozens of companies (if not many =
more) are busy back-porting drivers locally to 6.x/7.x, etc, and it =
would be nice to (a) amortize that cost, making it cheaper to use =
FreeBSD in said products, and (b) get it out into the community so =
everyone benefits. It's possible to imagine different models working =
there, and possibly more than one at once. I think the obvious starting =
point actually is in the device driver space, and possibly through the =
support efforts already being made in companies. It's useful for our =
community, however, to discuss whether we have any technical/social =
obstacles that would limit that (i.e., would $vendor not like it if =
third parties maintained their drivers in branches they no longer QA =
for), and whether we can take any specific actions to support those =
efforts.

There are lots of other factors involved here too, of course, but I =
think there's probably some moderately accessible work that if done, =
will make the world a better place :-).

Robert=