Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:29:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good practice for /tmp

Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk> types:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:53:19AM -0400, Andrew J Caines said:
> > > Mind you, I suppose you could also run out of swap on disk as well
> > Swap is disk, unless you swap to NFS or other storage.
> Ah yeah, but we were talking about having swap on an MFS /tmp.

Ugh. Double ugh. TRIPLE ugh.

An mfs is supposedly backed by swap. So if swap is on mfs, what's
backing the mfs? Is the inverse of the dual the dual of the inverse?
Where's the tylenol?

Anyway, I agree with you. Putting swap on mfs or md seems sort of
pointless. If the goal is to prevent people from reading sensitive
information left on swap if the hardware is compromised - which is
something security people do worry about - just configure the system
without any swap.

	<mike