Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:53:12 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        will.kempf@firstdatacorp.com (Will Kempf), freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Secure RPC revisited

In message <199611132024.PAA25119@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, Bill Paul writes:

>It would seem that other Linux distributions that use the same libc are
>in the same boat: I believe Slackware has the same Secure RPC and DES
>code in it. If any of these Linux distributors have mailed CDs to
>overseas addresses with DES code on them, then technically they've broken
>the law and could go to jail and/or be fined a lot of money.
>
>My point is that it's just not fair that we should be going to all
>this trouble to abide by the law while the Linux distributors just
>thumb their noses at it.

Well, that's one way to interpret this.

The other one is to call the DoD, who is more than eager to show how
much the damage to national safety would be, if you could export
sources for encryption tools, and who is looking for cases...

no, no, no!

I didn't really mean that seriously!!!!

Then again...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.