Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 23:04:49 -0400
From:      Justin C Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com>
To:        Peter Kok <cckok00@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache, php4, mod_php

On Thursday 10 May 2001 15:04, Peter Kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone have experience to install apache and php4 by tarball (not
> by port)?
> Could you give me the guide or website?

Here is what I did recently - note: this is not a shell script, so don't try
to run it as such.  It is just a lifelike simulation, so that the comments
are obvious.  I'm including the steps for MySQL cause you or someone else may
want it in the future - if you don't, just omit all references to it.

This is a pretty close approximation of what's on php.net for installation,
so when in doubt, refer to:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.php

# download apache 1 from http://www.apache.com/dist
gunzip apache_1.3.19.tar.gz
tar xvf apache_1.3.19.tar

# download php from http://www.php.net/downloads.php
gunzip php-4.0.5.tar.gz
tar xvf php-4.0.5.tar

# install mysql-server from /usr/ports/databases

## the procedure

cd apache_1.3.19
# if you want to install somewhere else other than
# /usr/local/apache, change this
# line and the one below on the second configure.
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
cd ../php-4.0.5

# some explanation:
# --with-mysql=/usr/local -> if you want to use any mysql functions
# -> you must specify location if you want to also reach mysql
# with php3 or perl on that machine
# -> otherwise, you can use --with-mysql

# this line probably wraps
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local --with-apache=../apache_1.3.19
--enable-track-vars
make
make install
cd ../apache_1.3.19
# this line probably wraps
./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
--prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install
cd ../php-4.0.5
cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

# edit /usr/local/apache/cnf/httpd.conf to allow php schipts to run -
# search that file for "php" and you'll see how.

# all done.
# start up apache with /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
# if you want it going on startup
# place an executable file called apache.sh in /usr/local/rc.d with
# the correct steps in it to start apache - if
# you installed mysql, you can use the scripts in there for mysql
# as an example as how to lay it out, or "man rc".