Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:03:18 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail / Fetchmail / Procmail / Mozilla

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:45:37PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
<snip>
> > If I want to use fetchmail to snag email from say 4 different pop acounts
> > and then filter it with procmail and use mozilla to read it (which I've
> > read is trivial to do), what parts of sendmail (or any mta) must I
> > have running minimally on localhost.
>
>     none. you don't need sendmail to accept mail through fetchmail (just
>     have it store messages directly in your mailbox instead of pulling
>     them through sendmail; you get an added bonus of preventing mail
>     loops in case you manage to misconfigure either part), and you don't
>     need sendmail to send mail from mozilla, as it has its own
>     implementation of a smtp client, just like any other clickoid mail
>     client (IOW, it bypasses the standard, which is passing the message
>     to sendmail on the command line.)
>
>     note however, that disabling sendmail completely will cripple your
>     system in that you will no longer receive the valuable output from
>     periodic(8) scripts, and possibly in other areas.
<big snip>

Why would disabling sendmail cripple all of the periodic scripts?  Other
than those scripts that relate specifically to an MTA, which others
would be affected?  Also, if you have another MTA just edit
/etc/mail/mailer.conf to point to your new MTA, as the various
invocations of sendmail are just wrappers that use the mailer.conf file to
determine exactly what they should be executing.  I recently left sendmail
in favour of Exim.  A few tweaks to mailer.conf and one or two minor
changes to a few of the periodic scripts and everything is in order.

Nathan