Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:26:50 -0500
From:      y-carden@uniandes.edu.co
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gvega@uniandes.edu.co
Subject:   Re: Invoking a userland function from kernel

I need pass asynchronously data from kernel
to a userland process, include a quantity variable of
data (void *opaque).

The userland process to consume the data independently
(it takes the data and build some structure,
perhaps a queue o link list, to consume later ).

I think that this is similar to upward flow data mechanism in the
network subsystem.  The data received at a network interface
flow upward through communications protocols until they are placed
in receive  queue of  destination socket, the system schedules
protocol processing from the network interface layer by marking a
bit assigned to the protocol in the system's network
interrupt status, and posting a software interrupt reserved
for triggering network activity. Software interrupts are used to
schedule asynchronous network activity.

But I don't know how I can trigger this software interrupts
from my code into the FreeBSD kernel.

Thanks.

 YONNY CARDENAS B.
  y-carden@uniandes.edu.co