Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 95 13:28:31 -0500
From:      crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GUS question and LPT question

: > IRQs should be used for printing iff they work.
: >
: > I would like to see the specs for printers that take hours to print a
: > line or page.  This is called by the printer acknowledging output more
: > than a few microseconds or nanoseconds before it is ready.

Takes me back.. to CP/M.  I think something somewhere is ignoring,
or perhaps not seeing, the acknowledgement from the parallel port.
The parallel driver would time out, after perhaps 30 seconds, and
transmit the next character regardless.  At this rate, a typical
3K per page print job would do about a page a day.

        Chuck Bacon -- crtb@helix.nih.gov