Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:22:41 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, "Don Wilde" <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trademark?

Note that trademarks, unlike patents or copyrights, can pass into the public
domain if their owners fail to defend them with due diligence.  So if you
have a registered trademark, but you ignore all unauthorized uses of the
trademark long enough, it may pass into the public domain, i.e., when and if
you finally do try to sue to protect it, it may be held by the court that
you did not attempt to protect it well enough, and so you've relinquished
control of it.

This has pretty much happened to trademarks like Xerox and Aspirin, although
I don't know what specific court decisions have been, if any.