Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2014 00:10:00 GMT
From:      =?UTF-8?B?7KGw7JiB7ZuI?= <jyhpsycho@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/186515: Doesn't boot with GPT when # of entries over than 128.

The following reply was made to PR kern/186515; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?UTF-8?B?7KGw7JiB7ZuI?= <jyhpsycho@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 09:07:43 +0900

 --001a11c109c445bcfd04f1d9e525

 That's right. Actually there's no any differences - between "free" sectors
 to "empty entries". In most cases 128 entries will be sufficient I said
 before. And I know that's not preferred way to align partitions. But, GRUB2
 works even that cases. Of course that isn't GNU extension. Because of
 there's no any differences except total entry count, I think it should be
 work.

 I think there's some problem loading freebsd-boot partition. When I
 selected USB stick at boot menu, I can't see anything except black screen
 and it reboots immediately. If it boots correctly, it should display
 and /boot populated) Greeting message such as "BTX Loader 1.00 BTX Version
 is 1.02", then "Welcome to FreeBSD". I checked that behavior with work
 cases(128 entries, different boot partition's start location), and I found
 that it should display "rotating animation" even there's not exist
 later-step bootloader files in /boot; In that case, it automatically
 reboots after shows that animation because there's no freebsd-ufs partition.

 * I'm first use of FreeBSD's bug reporting system and it causes some
 confusion to me. I replied same mail to John, but not bug-followup system
 and I guess it is what my reply doesn't seen on bug tracking system. I hope
 that send reply mail to this address is right...

 --001a11c109c445bcfd04f1d9e525

 fferences - between &quot;free&quot;=20
 sectors to &quot;empty entries&quot;. In most cases 128 entries will be suf=
 ficient
  I said before. And I know that&#39;s not preferred way to align partitions=
 .
  But, GRUB2 works even that cases. Of course that isn&#39;t GNU extension.=
 =20
 Because of there&#39;s no any differences except total entry count, I think=
 =20
 it should be work.<br>
 partition. When I selected USB stick at boot menu, I can&#39;t see anything=
 =20
 except black screen and it reboots immediately. If it boots correctly,=20
 it should display loading screen - rotating animation - and (if=20
 freebsd-ufs partition exists and /boot populated) Greeting message such=20
 as &quot;BTX Loader 1.00 BTX Version is 1.02&quot;, then &quot;Welcome to F=
 reeBSD&quot;. I=20
 checked that behavior with work cases(128 entries, different boot=20
 partition&#39;s start location), and I found that it should display=20
 &quot;rotating animation&quot; even there&#39;s not exist later-step bootlo=
 ader files=20
 in /boot; In that case, it automatically reboots after shows that=20
 v>* I&#39;m first use of FreeBSD&#39;s bug reporting system and it causes s=
 ome confusion to me. I replied same mail to John, but not bug-followup syst=
 em and I guess it is what my reply doesn&#39;t seen on bug tracking system.=
  I hope that send reply mail to this address is right...<br>

 --001a11c109c445bcfd04f1d9e525--