Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:38:53 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hostname, domain name and mail problems

On 2002-03-31 13:14, Nick Lozinsky wrote:
> [...]

You can have any hostname you want (well, as long as it is one that is not
used already by someone else).  At home, I'm using hades.hell.gr as my
hostname, since I know that hell.gr is an unlikely domain name to be
registered in Greece.  This doesn't prevent Sendmail from masquerading all
my outgoing mail with the proper From: headers and envelope addresses.

Sendmail that you are using, keeps it's configuration files in /etc/mail.
Mutt reads it's configuration from /usr/local/etc/Muttrc and ~/.muttrc.
Since both Sendmail and mutt are complex and versatile programs, certain
configuration options of either program can have the effect that you are
describing.  Without knowing what their configuration files include, it's
only guesswork that can help you.

So, how is Sendmail and your mail client configured?

- Giorgos