Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        uwi mAn <uwi@delfi.lv>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On 2001-07-06, uwi mAn scribbled:

# what's the difference between SVR and  Solaris?

SVR standard for System V Release and is a way of saying (what used to
be) AT&T Unix. Solaris (which came from the BSD background and at that
time was called SunOS) is a System V implementation of UNIX.

UNIX comes in two major flavors: System V and BSD. Current UNIX
operating systems are either based on System V or BSD... but many
include features from the other implementation (like Digital UNIX... now
Compaq Tru64 Unix).

Correct me if I messed up or am flat out wrong ;-)

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found