Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:47:46 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        pirat@access.inet.co.th
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: $USER subdirectory in $USER home

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:21:34 +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:

> would anyone please tell me why some time there is a $USER
> subdirectory in a $USER home. but now i am using FreeBSD-3.3, there is
> no such a subdirectory.

It sounds like you're using the word subdirectory when what you really
mean is environment variable.

If so, don't rely on USER, since it's less likely to be present than the
POSIX equivalent, LOGNAME.

Note that FreeBSD's login(1) sets both LOGNAME and USER. Perhaps you're
logging into your machine using some other method which doesn't set the
variables as expected?

Ciao,
Sheldon.