Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:47:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL rant number 31391 (was: Jordan Hubbard on Darwin)

On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at  2:11:11 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:16 AM +1030 2000/11/19, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>  I agree 100% with Jordan.  In fact, that's exactly what I'm going to
>>  be doing with my Sun 3/60s running NetBSD once I finish my mail.
>
> 	I have to agree as well.  While the GPL folks may be anti-BSD,
> the BSD folks don't necessarily have to be anti-GPL.  While I don't
> like their license, I feel no restraint whatsoever against using good
> software that I like, such as bash.

I don't know that they're anti-BSD.  In September 1998 I attended a
Stallman Emacs tutorial (another package I like).  Stallman arrived
without the power supply for his laptop, so he ended up using mine,
running FreeBSD of course.  He didn't have any problem with that,
though he did have a problem that it didn't have the latest version of
Emacs on it.  He actually brought up some kernel source with the BSD
license in it, and commented that, though he didn't think it as good
as the GPL, it was still a free software license, and so it was good.
He wasn't nearly as nice to the Caldera people when he saw that they
were putting commercial and GPL software on the same CD.

I've made my own position clear in the past, but FWIW: I don't care
enough about the difference to get involved in discussions on the
matter.

Greg