Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:11:18 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        rfg@monkeys.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reporting problems with Firefox (?)

Hey voice from my nana* past!

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> So what should I do?  Download a new /usr/ports tree and then go into
> www/firefox and do a build?

Yes, that'll get you into the 2.x releases ... but....
[...]

>>> OK, so let's say that I want to try the linux-firefox version.  I must
>>> ask this:  Do I first need to replace all of the X11 related stuff, i.e.
>>> "upgrade" from X.org 6.9.0 to X.org 7.2 first?
>> You definitely should upgrade all your ports before reporting problems.
>
> Yeabut is X11 considered part of "ports"?

Absolutely it is.  I think what I'd do if I were in your shoes is do the
7.2 xorg upgrade and then portupgrade -aR to get everything else in
place including the new firefox.  nb., a -aR on my 2.8ghz w/ consumer
SATA drives takes 36 hours including openoffice, about 28 hours without
openoffice.

Firefox 2.0 feels snappier but I've never benchmarked it, worth trying
though?