Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 07:01:01 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "John Papalia" <john@jpepconsulting.com>, "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <smkelly@slashnet.org>, <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

> >A: Yes, most major IRC networks host a FreeBSD chat channel:
> >
> >      Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum, but don't go there
> >for tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid
> >      the pain of reading man pages or doing your own research. It is a
> >chat channel, first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely
> >      to involve sex, sports or nuclear weapons as they are
> >FreeBSD. You Have Been Warned! Available at server irc.chat.org.
>

> This reads that "if you've tried man pages, web site, etc. etc. then maybe
> you'll find what you're looking for in #freebsd.  All it says is that it
> isn't tech support, it isn't a first choice resource.  That wording is in
> fact, NOT clear.

lol.  If that's the way you choose to interpret the paragraph, then no
wonder you're confused.  It says:

"don't go there for":

    (a) "tech support"
    (b) "to try and get folks there to help you avoid the pain of reading
man pages"
    (c) "or doing your own research"

So that means that even if your question was NOT in a man page, you are
still responsible for "doing your own research".  And 99% of the people's
questions are in a man page.  It doesn't matter how you try to twist the
words to your satisfaction because it says plain and simple, "You Have Been
Warned!"

> I quote: " Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum"

That is a fragment of a quote because it fails to notice the condition
attached to the statement.

"Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum, BUT but don't go there
for tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid
 the pain of reading man pages or doing your own research"

Period.  If this supposed new person cannot read the entire paragraph, or
even the end of this sentence, that is their problem.

> >To put it another way, do not expect the readers of this list to be
> >somehow able to social-engineer EFNET's #freebsd channel into being
> >kinder, gentler or more socially responsible FreeBSD advocates.  It's
> >an unachievable and thankless task and a frankly foolish thing to ask
> >of the FreeBSD project.
>
> Nobody ever asked for this to happen.

Then explain the point of bitching about it on the mailing list.

> >One might just as well ask the readers of
> >this list to capture a Somali warlord or bring a permanant and lasting
> >peace in Northern Ireland while they're wishing for impossible things
> >from inappropriate groups of people.
>
> Again, a perfectly on topic discussion blown off by none other than:
> >- Jordan

Again, another flame let loose by Daniel, not to mention the private email
he sent me, calling me an asshole.  Quite on-topic there my friend.