Date:      Thu,  7 Jun 2001 05:48:01 -0400
From:      "Erik Rothwell" <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it assumed that I know this?

>> I ask my Internet Service Provider for these names and numbers but he just
>> said
>> "You don't need those for anything, what's FreeBSD anyway?"
>
>	Your ISP is providing DHCP. I'd suggest that you answer yes to the
>question "Use DHCP." (It might fail though depending on your
>configuration.)  If they're not going to give you the IP address you need
>if that dosen't work... it's time to start shopping for a new ISP.

This is a crummy solution, but, you can always setup Win95 with DHCP, grab the values you need from winipcfg, write them down, and insert them as necessary into the FreeBSD install. Then keep the static configuration once you're setup, or, switch to DHCP as necessary.

If you're with any major ISP that has crummy tech. support (i.e. Anything@Home. ;)) they may be unwilling to provide you with the static IP information since a lot of ISPs (esp. IP-over-Cable providers) are trying to get everyone on DHCP.

You may have no choice, though, if it's a DSL connection.

Also, you tend to get more intelligent answers if you try not to explain what BSD or Solaris or whatnot is exactly and just say "Linux." The tech. people will probably still not know a thing about what you're trying to do (a friend of mine, bless her heart ;), will be computer illiterate until the day she dies but managed to get a job at one of the @Home call centers doing "cablemodem" tech support... oi...) but at least they know "Oh well it's not Windows..."

Meh.

Rogers@Home, my enemy and ISP, the bastards they are, wouldn't let my roommate sign up for service unless he lied and said he ran Windows and had at least 2GB of disk space free. (He ran Solaris, in actuality, and what the hell does having 2GB of disk space have to do with making a network connection?! The mind reels.)

Erik.