Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 23:19:32 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new api for asynchronous task execution

Chuck Paterson wrote:

> }
> }Wouldn't it make more sense to provide an inversion-proof semaphore?
> }Or is that what they're doing?
>
>         Not quite sure what you mean. The lock checking done
> now is to detect without actually having to have the deadlock
> occur the following
>
> thread 1 acquires lock "a" and then tries to acquire lock "b"
> thread 2 acquires lock "b" and then tries to acquire lock "a"
>
> There isn't really any automagic fix for this.

Ah, I misunderstood, this is a deadly embrace.  There are automagic
fixes, but they get expensive REALLY fast.  Still, it's a good
option to turn on for debugging.

>         If you are talking about running processes in
> order based on scheduling priority, this is propagated
> though mutexs which have been blocked on.

No, speaking of temporarily elevating the priority of a process holding
a lock to the highest priority of all processes blocking on the lock.