Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:01:31 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (3) hey

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> Alright, here are my questions. I have collected more than one email
> here.
> 1st of I all it is hard to tell my customers that they are not able to
> connect to that site because this is not a legal host name. Since all
> other ISPs are fine with it. I did not understand why other Unix OSes
> like
> Solaris or OSF1 support it. I also believe that there could be a more
> meaningful
> error message else than the one I got "Unknown server error".

	If you don't like how freebsd handles this, you are free to change its
behavior. You have the source code, make all the changes to the resolver
library you want to. In fact, once you've made the changes, please submit
them using send-pr since although I definitely agree that it's an invalid
hostname for the global internet I disagree with our resolver not being
able to handle it. Labels with an underscore in them are perfectly valid
for intranets, and the new SRV RR uses underscores.

	What you need to stop doing is complaining about it. You've been told why
it is how it is, you have the means to fix it yourself, so fix it or don't,
that's up to you. But further complaining doesn't do anyone any good.

Doug