Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:17:13 -0500
From:      David Magda <dmagda@magda.ca>
To:        Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 7K and APM

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:16:19PM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> FWIW, I have been using
>
> device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
>
> on my Inspirons, and it has worked fine on my 3500 from 3.3 to 4.7.
> (I haven't gotten around to 5.0 yet, but may want to run it on my
> brand new 4150. For now, the above works fine on this one too.)

Well I have nothing left to lose: I'll try it in a couple of days (after
my last exam).

> No, that only indicates a missing device file.  Fix by going to /dev
> and running ./MAKEDEV apm (you may wish to do ./MAKEDEV apmctl too).

The 5 series uses devfs, so device files are created dynamically. If you
go into the source of apm(4) you'll see that upon initialization, it
calls the make_dev() kernel function call which tells the devfs system
to create a /dev entry.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>