Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:54:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of maxsockets.

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:01:01 -0600 (CST), Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> said:
>
> > That would end up being a reduction below the current value; right now
> > sockets > maxfiles with large maxuser values.  Whether or not this is a
> > necessary differential, I'm not sure.  (With TIME_WAIT and FIN_WAIT_2
> > sockets, I believe that maxsockets should exceed maxfiles.)
>
> My point was that it's not necessary to enforce a limit on sockets,
> specifically, because maxfiles (and user resource limits) will keep
> users from opening too many sockets.  We should probably look to
> templating closed TCP connections, since they don't actually need a
> socket at all (or most of the PCB).
>
> -GAWollman

A TIME_WAIT cache or similar would be great, I agree.  In that case, I'd
think that you would want fewer sockets than files so that apps would
always have free files available, even once sockets were depleted.  In
short, I think that it's advantageous having seperate limits, given that
doing so is easy.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack