Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:15:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: request for review

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> In addition to making FreeBSD consistent with OpenBSD and Linux, as
> stated by the originator of this thread, the patch also makes FreeBSD
> consistent with Solaris and Tru64-UNIX.  I'm for it.

Please don't top post.

This patch also makes FreeBSD almost compatible with FreeBSD (versions
1, 2, 3) that is.  Old versions vn_stat() simply passed back the
va_blocksize set by VOP_GETTATTR().  This at least gave individual
filesystems a chance to set it right.  It was too bad that they mostly
set it wrong using slightly different hacks than the ones in the
-current vn_stat().  The patch under review restores the old behaviour
for non-disk character devices only.  Unfortunately, it was character
(and block) devices that had the most bogus values for va_blocksize.

> In message <19068.1011092026@critter.freebsd.dk>, Poul-Henning Kamp
> writes:
> >
> > I think it is bogus for devices other than disks to flout a
> > va_blocksize, but I am on the other hand not sure what the
> > relevant (if any) standards say.

Please don't top post.

POSIX says almost the same as the quote from www.opengroup.org in the
sources: "A file system-specific [sic] preferred I/O block size for
this object".  0 is wrong except possibly for /dev/null since it is
a very bad I/O size.

Bruce