Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:59:17 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

At 11:30 AM -0500 3/12/02, Robert Watson wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Andrea Campi wrote:
>
>  > The server is still a problem, yes. Garance, don't you know of
>  > any anonymously accessible systems? I'm sure there are a few
>  > but don't think I wrote them down anywhere.
>
>My impression was that many .edu cells are anonymously accessible
>to at least some extent, or some of the boot-strapping tricks
>wouldn't work.  I could be wrong, however.

You can claim to be part of an AFS cell without having any passwords
for that cell, but I don't know if there are any ip-based checks on
the server side.  You will only have access to directories which
are permitted read to system:anyuser, but I imagine every AFS site
has at least a few of those directories.

For that matter, once we got some kind of OpenAFS server going
on FreeBSD, we could add freebsd.org as an AFS cell.

>  > I never got OpenAFS working on -current but I heard someone is
>  > working on that. Note also that the kernel module is designed
>  > to be sort-of compatible between different implementation, so
>  > that you could use it witk either the OpenAFS or arla client.
>
>I've recently been exchanging e-mail with developers at CMU
>regarding the OpenAFS code, so there's certainly activity in
>that space.  Also, OpenAFS was ported to Darwin and OS X.
>Although AFS isn't a big part of the FreeBSD community, there
>seems to be a lot of interest in FreeBSD on the AFS side of
>the world.

I must admit that I am really more interested in an "official"
OpenAFS client than in ARLA, but just for political reasons.
RPI has been running an AFS cell for at least ten years now, and
everyone has already bought into the "wonderfulness" of OpenAFS.
If I had OpenAFS for FreeBSD, then I have a chance of using
FreeBSD instead of Linux for some of our servers (not our AFS
servers, but for things like print and samba servers).  If I try
to do that with ARLA, then I have to convince them in *both*
FreeBSD and ARLA, and I do not think I can do that.

I was going to try ARLA because I thought it was already working,
but if it is not then maybe I should concentrate on OpenAFS.

>...  However, what we really need are maintainers who use
>AFS daily to make this work -- it's a complex system that
>will require extensive testing and careful tracking.

Well, after our last computer-center reorg, I am technically
supposed to be the "backup person" for AFS.  I also got to be
the main person for samba, and I got to drop ... well, nothing.
So, I haven't really had any time to learn much wrt AFS.  I
can certainly do client-side testing, but the server-side
would probably be over my head.

I'm also trying to convince some of my buddies over in RPI's
CS dept to do some work on OpenAFS for FreeBSD.  Everyone
likes the idea, but so far no one has had the time to start
working on it.