Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:39:00 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew@reilly.home>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I2O

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 03:18:17PM -0400, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Ron G. Minnich wrote:
>
> > I2O will be a footnote in a year or so. After that, it will be forgotten
> > and in 10 years someone else will reinvent the idea and learn the hard
> > way why it is a bad one (as I2O is itself a reinvention of old, bad ideas).
>
> Why is offloading IO a bad idea?  Offloading video and 3D rendering work
> well, it's what drives 3dfx and it's competitors.  Or am I missing
> something?  My basic understanding of I2O is using a subprocessor to
> handle all IO, thus freeing up the main processor from doing things like
> waiting on interrupts and the like.

I suspect that the "wheel of reincarnation" has something to say
about this.  The 3D rendering boards are doing a specific operation
that happens to be very popular at the moment, which is keeping it
alive.  It's never going to be as popular as general purpose
processors, though, so they will eventually overtake the special
purpose 3D engines, and you'll have dumb(ish) frame buffers again.
That way you get to keep your textures and geometry models in main
memory, which is so much faster...(by then).

Why would you want to spend money on another processor, memory
subsystem, and so on, for a processor that can't (doesn't) run
FreeBSD?  You're better off building a multi-processor system that
does.  That's why SMP systems are much more popular now than the
multi-processors that kept one CPU for the operating system, that
came before.

Of course, the reason that the wheel of reincarnation is there at
all is that it's easier to attack each problem with a specific
solution, as it arises, than it is to re-orient the general purpose
solution as required.  So you get blips of non-generality, while
the general purpose solution figures out what to do.

In this case, the problem that I2O is solving is the poor interrupt
performance of the current general purpose processors, and the poor
real-time performance of the current operating systems.  There are
existence proofs that neither of these faults is insurmountable
(vis ARM, i960 etc; QNX, VxWorks, others..), so one can assume that
the general purpose solution is going to steamroller the special-purpose
one pretty quickly, unless other factors (political, rather than
technical) get in the way.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."