Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:08:13 +0200
From:      Guido Winkelmann <guido@unknownsite.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP connections drop frequently and won't automatically come up again

Hi

I am using a small FreeBSD machine as a NAT router (and for a few other
purposes) for an ADSL connection for my home network. I am using the user
space ppp program with the -ddial and the -nat switch for this.

The problem is that, at seemingly random intervals, the connection to the
internet will go down (or rather, stop working) and refuse to automatically
come up again. After a reboot, everything works again.

After that happened again yesterday, I logged in to the machine via ssh (which
took a lot longer than usual btw, it was about a minute until I was prompted
for my password). I found the ppp process to still be running, the interface
tun0 to still be up and the default route to still be set to tun0. Also,
there was no mention of any problem in /var/log/ppp or /var/log/messages (at
least not from ppp itself - some other daemon was repeatedly complaining
about the lack of internet connectivity). The send/receive diode on the DSL
modem was still blinking wildly.
Next thing I did was to unplug the DSL modem from its power supply, wait a few
seconds and plug it in again, hoping that now the ppp process would finally
realize that there was something wrong and reinitiate the connection, but
that didn't succeed. I only could bring up the Internet connection again with
a reboot.

This happens at very irregular intervals. The last time, it happened only a
few hours after bootup, the time before, everything worked fine for nearly a
month, until I rebooted the machine for updating. (I did get disconnected a
few times during that months, though. At least I got a new IP address a few
times. But the connection never stayed down for more than a few seconds.)

The FreeBSD version is RELENG_5_2, updated two or three days ago.

I've got the following lines in /etc/rc.conf for ppp:

[...]
# Internet access from the local network
gateway_enable="YES"

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="ddial"
ppp_nat="YES"