Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:45:39 -0500
From:      Brendan McAlpine <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IRQ 7 Stray

I am seeing a weird problem with my new FreeBSD 4.3 box.  For about 10
minutes every few hours it goes "deaf" to its net connection.  This is a
mail server running qmail so this behavior is not good.

It doesn't look like qmail is causing the problem, and in my dmesg.today
file is the folowing entry:

stray irq 7
stray irq 7
stray irq 7
stray irq 7
stray irq 7
too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

I've done some research on this error message and it seems to point to
printer problems or a piece of external hardware (speakers, etc.) that is
causing irq problems.  This wouldn't be the case for this machine as its a
server.

So, could the stray irq 7 messages be related to this problem or just
something else going on?  Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on
with this machine?

TIA for the help.

Brendan