Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:50:59 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        PaxJanet@gateway.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD choices

PaxJanet@gateway.net schrieb:

> Hello, I hope that I've sent this to the right place. I have done some
> reading on two versions of FreeBSD-- "FreeBSD Desktop 4.1" $99.95 |and|
> "FreeBSD Powerpack4.2" $49.95. I am currently using WinME and would like to
> move onto FreeBSD. My question is, can I use "FreeBSD Powerpack4.2" as a
> replacement for WinME or will I have to use FreeBSD Desktop4.1.

To replace Windows, any FreeBSD version will suffice.

The BSD Desktop Edition includes FreeBSD, The Complete FreeBSD Book,
ApplixWare Office Suite 5.0 and Partition Magic (Special Edition)

FreeBSD Power Pak includes FreeBSD, the Toolkit, and The Complete
FreeBSD Book.

The Toolkit is neccessary to cut down download times on slow networks,
thus I'd recommend the Power Pak if your connection to the internet is
slow (modem, ISDN).

FYI,FreeBSD is now at Version 4.3 -- you may prefer to order that.

Online resources: http://www.wccdrom.com/ , http://www.freebsdmall.com/

HTH
-Christoph Sold