Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 12:10:19 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk, ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cron skipped jobs during ST->DST change

> I've used systems in the past that got this all right.  During either
> time change, every scheduled cron job was run once and only once as long
> as cron remained running during that magic hour.

Yes; this is a bug in cron.

The problem with firing all the jobs in the time period is sequence
dependencies.

You can argue that timing should not be used for most sequences ; thats
is, dependent operations should all be fired by the same shell script.

The problem with this ideal is that the sequence could be defined
such that a backup will fire when the machine is assumed to be
relatively idle.

People who live in DST areas and fire backups at 2AM exactly should
get their heads examined anyway.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---