Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:51:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      d c <casteld73@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Transparent Firewall-  Bridge on 5.3

I have currently setup bridging on 5.3 p5 w/o too much effort.  It works as documented.

However I believe I am trying to do something that is not a function of bridging and I wanted to run it by the experts.

Essentially I want ALL traffic to pass through the bridge.  I accomplished this from the handbook.  However I would like to pickoff any packets destined for port 25.  Then I would like to forward them to 127.0.0.1:10025.

>From the googling I have done I have seen notes mentioning the bridge not handling "fwd" with ipfilter.

Here is the rule I am using:

ipfw add 100 fwd 127.0.0.1,10025 tcp from not me to any 25

If I log it does show up in /var/log/security.

1.  Is there a special directive I need to use when processing layer3  on a layer 2 bridge ?
2.  Is the fwd command supported?

Goal:  Have a transparent device that intercepts all email and hands off to clamsmtp which is listening on 127.0.0.1:10025

Issue:  Packets do not seem to be making it to clamsmtp for processing.

Also-  Does handing off to the loopback on a bridge cause any problems.  Could I be making an infinte loop?  Anyway to set the rule to process in one direction only on a bridge?

Any advice / help / questions /comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA