Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:15:49 -0400
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@scsn.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 12:55:53PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
<SNIP>
> to what I see for -current's future) then that's what -current is
> there for.  It's a testing ground, not a place for hosting the ports
> collection.

    The point has been raised that eventually -current will be *release*,
and that if -current is not actively supported by the ports system, then
there will eventually be 1250+ ports that will need re-porting.  I have not
seen this point answered.  Maybe I missed it.

    A very clean solution to this mess has been proposed by David Nugent,
and seconded by Soren...  All of the contentious software in question
*could* be maintained in src/release, and not interfere with the base system.
I cannot se a down-side to this solution.  What (if anything) am I missing
here?