Date:      27 Mar 1999 19:51:33 -0800
From:      Faried Nawaz <fn@hungry.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: emacs 18.59.

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

  No, but have you tried just building it?  I can probably drag out some
  port logs if you run into trouble, but it would be nice to know what
  goes wrong first.

Emacs, as you probably know, builds itself from the C source, and creates
an executable named "temacs".  temacs loads some of the lisp source, and
then "undumps" itself to create the proper emacs executable.

There are minor problems getting it to build (have to add a __progname
symbol to emacs' crt0.c, fix the sys_errlist definitions, etc), but the
main problem is getting it to undump correctly.  src/unexec.c in the source
distribution is geared towards a.out executables.  Perhaps the best thing
to try is to grab unexec for FreeBSD from a recent Emacs version.

I've also found some stuff in ftp://alpha.gnu.org/friedman/ that might
help (it's geared towards Linux/ELF).

My main reason for mailing chat was to save myself the trouble of figuring
out how executables are set up internally -- it's an area I'm not familiar
with.  I was hoping someone else had already gone through the trouble of
building it.

faried.