Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:42:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        linda@kateley.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pNFS server Plan B

Linda Kateley wrote:
> I have really enjoyed this discussion. Just to echo this point further.
> I have spent most of my career with 1 foot in opensource and the other 3
> feet in the enterprise(And yes I have 4 feet.). Enterprise always makes
> decisions based on reliability or someone telling them something is
> reliable. If you ask 100 vmware admins why they use nfs probably 100
> will say because vmware recommends it. If you ask a CT at vmware why
> they recommend it, the couple I have asked have said because it is a
> reliable transport.
>=20
> Vmware now has interest in pnfs.
>=20
> Technology gets driven by business/enterprise. I talked to a CA at a
> large electronics chain and asked why they are using ceph and he said
> about 100 words, then said because red hat recommends it with openstack.
>=20
> Intel is driving lustre. RHEL driving ceph. Vmware driving pnfs. I don't
> see anyone driving gluster.
>=20
I don't know of any vendors (Redhat people basically maintain it, afaik), b=
ut Jordan
sent me this a little while back:

https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/presentations/scaling-glusterfs-fa=
cebook

Facebook is a user, but a large one.

Although GlusterFS seems to supports OpenStack stuff, it seems to be layere=
d on top of the
POSIX file system using something they call SwiftOnFile.

Thanks for the comments, rick

> Every once in awhile you see products grow on their merit(watching
> proxmox and zerto right now) but those usually get swooped up by a
> bigger one.
>=20
> To the point of setting up kerberized nfs, AD has made kerberos easy, it
> could be just as easy with nfs. Everything is easy once you know it.
>=20
> lk
>=20
>=20
> On 6/20/16 9:54 PM, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > OK, wow.  This appears to have turned into something of a referendum on=
 NFS
> > and, just based on Rick and Doug=E2=80=99s defense of pNFS, I also thin=
k my
> > commentary on that may have been misconstrued somewhat.
> >
> > So, let me just set the record straight by saying that I=E2=80=99m all =
in favor of
> > pNFS.  It addresses a very definite need in the Enterprise marketplace =
and
> > gives FreeBSD yet another arrow in its quiver when it comes to being =
=E2=80=9Ca
> > player=E2=80=9D in that (ever-growing) arena.  The only point I was try=
ing to make
> > before was that if we could ALSO address clustering in a more general w=
ay
> > as part of providing a pNFS solution, that would be great.   I am not,
> > however, the one writing the code and if my comments were in any way
> > discouraging to the folks that are, I apologize and want to express my
> > enthusiasm for it.  If iXsystems engineering resources can contribute i=
> > any way to moving this ball forward, let me know and we=E2=80=99ll star=
t doing so.

> > On the more general point of =E2=80=9CNFS is hard, let=E2=80=99s go sho=
pping=E2=80=9D let me also
> > say that it=E2=80=99s kind of important not to conflate end-user target=
ed
> > solutions with enterprise solutions.  Setting up a Kerberized NFSv4, fo=
> > example, is not really designed to be trivial to set up and if anyone i=
> > waiting for that to happen, they may be waiting a very long time (like,
> > forever).  NFS and SMB are both fairly simple technologies to use if yo=
> > restrict yourself to using, say, just 20% of their overall feature-sets=
.
> > Once you add ACLs, Directory Services, user/group and permissions
> > mappings, and any of the other more enterprise-centric features of thes=
> > filesharing technologies, however, things rapidly get more complicated =
and
> > the DevOps people who routinely play in these kinds of environments are
> > quite happy to have all those options available because they=E2=80=99re=
 not
> > consumers operating in consumer environments.
> >
> > Sun didn=E2=80=99t design NFS to be particularly consumer-centric, for =
that matter,
> > and if you think SMB is =E2=80=9Csimple=E2=80=9D because you clicked Ne=
twork on Windows
> > Explorer one day and stuff just automagically appeared, you should try
> > operating it in a serious Windows Enterprise environment (just flip
> > through some of the SMB bugs in the FreeNAS bug tracker -
> > https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/issues?utf8=3D=E2=9C=93&set_f=
ilter=3D1&f%5B%5D=3Dstatus_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=3D*&f%5B%5D=3Dcategory_id&o=
p%5Bcategory_id%5D=3D%3D&v%5Bcategory_id%5D%5B%5D=3D57&f%5B%5D=3D&c%5B%5D=
=3Dtracker&c%5B%5D=3Dstatus&c%5B%5D=3Dpriority&c%5B%5D=3Dsubject&c%5B%5D=3D=
assigned_to&c%5B%5D=3Dupdated_on&c%5B%5D=3Dfixed_version&group_by=3D
> > - if you want to see the kinds of problems users wrestle with all the
> > time).
> >
> > Anyway, I=E2=80=99ll get off the soapbox now, I just wanted to dispute =
the premise
> > that =E2=80=9Csimple file sharing=E2=80=9D that is also =E2=80=9Csecure=
 file sharing=E2=80=9D and
> > =E2=80=9Cflexible file sharing=E2=80=9D doesn=E2=80=99t really exist.  =
The simplest end-user