Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:15:40 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "Jeff Sapp" <jasapp@pelennor.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: rebuilding a compaq smart array

	Sorry about that, I was thinking faster than I was typing... hate it when
that happens.

	There should be software that allows you to set up the array, as you've
done.  Check while you're in that software for settings as far as automatic
rebuild.  My ProLiant 1500's RAID Controller's software has this option.

> One of my co-workers spent about three hours on the phone with compaq
> today trying to get it worked out, but no luck. They really want me to
> install Windows NT on it for some reason.

	From personal experience, Compaq really doesn't know what to do with
anything aside from one of their OS products or a Microsoft OS.  If you're
serious about running FreeBSD on that box, you've come to the right place.
*grins*

> > 	Rebuilding it from FreeBSD?  Not that I know of.  The
> controller should
> > perform an automatic rebuild once a replacement drive is
> inserted into the
> > array.  Might want to check the settings on the controller
> configuration to
> > see if this option has been disabled by accident.
>
> Does it rebuild the replacement drive while the operating system is
> running? That's where I'm running into trouble.

	It does.  I'm running a RAID 5 setup with 3 drives.  Strangest thing I'd
ever seen the first time I saw it... server is sitting there running, just
reach in and pull out a drive and put it back in and watch it rebuild.
Later on, the Consulting firm that I worked for used this machine to show
clients how RAID benefits their server design.  Very effective tool, too.
Machine paid for itself by doing those demonstrations alone.  *grins*  Seems
that small business owners love the idea of being able to have a drive die
and still be able to get work done, as opposed to being down, waiting for a
tech, then waiting for parts, etc.  Less hassle to replace a dead drive than
it is to have to rebuild an entire server from tape.

--- Andy