Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:15:14 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: maybe slightly OT - web content management kits

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On 02/08/05 06:02 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> I know this might be slightly OT, but I really only want to ask this
> question to those that use and maintain websites on FreeBSD anyway.  So
> please overlook the OT post.
>
> I'm trying to find a good website management system.  Content
> management.  I'm running Apache 2.0 with (among others) mod_perl2, (perl
> 5.8.6) and Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.
>
> I don't have mod_php installed, and I'd just as soon not install it if I
> don't have to.  If it's the best option, then I'll bite the bullet.  I'd
> also like to stick with the server versions I already have installed.
>
> I've noticed slash in the ports, but it really wants Apache 1.3.x - as
> do many other similar apps in the ports.  Many others I've found also
> want mod_php.
>
> What I'm asking for is recommendations from people who have used and/or
> maintained multiple such packages on FreeBSD, what they thought about
> them.  Also, if anyone knows of any similar kits written in JSP, I'd be
> interested in checking them out.
>
> Finally, the server setup I have.  I know I'm running pretty close to
> the bleeding edge, but are there any of these packages out there that
> are ok on Apache 2.0?

Ok, I know I'm answering my own post again, but I've found a very good
resource for this kind of info.  Just in case anyone is interested, it's
at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

They have an extensive, if not exhaustive list of CMS webware projects,
and even have an excellent cross project comparison matrix by feature.

I'm probably going to try a few out, since there's only a couple in the
ports.  Among my top candidates are Mambo, geeklog (in ports), drupal
(also in ports), opencms, Etomite, and Magnolia.

If I find one I really really like, that's not in ports, I may try my
hand at submitting and supporting a port.  We'll see.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Water causes rust!  Drink beer instead!

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--