Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 07:49:49 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

>>>>> "Poul-Henning" == Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com> writes:

    Poul-Henning> Considering the problems, I belive that an X11-based
    Poul-Henning> installation is >>not<< the thing we should do
    Poul-Henning> before we can do a !X11-based installation to some
    Poul-Henning> level of satisfaction.

We could at least provide reasonable skeleton dot files that would set
up an attractive X11 interface, after the install's complete
... perhaps to continue the installation of packages, set up user
accounts, install printer stuff, etc.

I know some users who are shallow enough to prefer a particular Linux
distribution over another because it includes a .xinitrc that starts
up an fvwm with a .fvwmrc with a pretty color scheme over another
distribution that uses good ol' twm.

Look at Walnut Creek's CD-ROM catalog: Slackware's screen shot is
sexier than FreeBSD's.  Sure, we've got technologically superior
solutions, and that works for part of the market.  But sex sells, too!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I don't guess I've ever been as scared as when I was waiting in the
principal's office. Finally he came in and sat down. He didn't say
anything, he just looked at me. Then he pulled a copy of Playboy
out. "Is this yours?" he said. "No," I said, "is this yours?" And I
pulled out my penis. I guess I wasn't as scared as I thought.
-- Jack Handey