Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:05:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Quigley <michael@cybernetics.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Large ATA Disk

I know that this question is FAQ because I've read all the FAQs that I
could get my hands on.  Yet, I am still having a problem.

The machine is a DEC P5-90 with a 1.2gig ATA/IDE hard drive.  This system
has been running FreeBSD in the past, and was installed around 6 months
ago.  Now I am having to reinstall it, and am running into a situation
where I simply cannot get it to boot off of the hard disk.  I know its a
geometry mapping problem, but I cannot seem to correct it.  I have the
'Large Disk Access Mode' option in the BIOS setup set to 'Other' (which
is says is for Unix/etc).  When I run utilities like IDEINFO under DOS,
it reports different BIOS geometry than physical disk geometry.

I don't remember having this much trouble the first time I installed
FreeBSD, but I've been working on this for a while now with no success.
Any ideas or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Mike

  System Administration      |   / /__/ // / _ \/ -_) __/ _ \/ -_) __/\ \/ /
  (michael@cybernetics.net)          /___/