Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:21:30 +0100
From:      Alex <FreeBSD@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        "A.Rakukin" <rakukin@pochtamt.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: with and without firewall

Hello A.Rakukin,

Tuesday, March 05, 2002, 7:44:53 AM, you wrote:

AR> Hello,

AR> I would like to have my network (say, 128.1.1.0 with
AR> router 128.1.1.1) connected to the Internet via the
AR> firewall most of the time, but also provide the
AR> possibility for this network to be switched to direct
AR> Internet connection at any time, without any changes in
AR> routing.

AR> I guess I can set it up in the following way:
AR>  - create an additional network (128.2.2.0),
AR>  - add this network as secondary to the router,
AR> assigning an additional address 128.2.2.1 to the router
AR> itself,
AR>  - set up a firewall with external address 128.2.2.2
AR> and internal addresses 128.1.1.1
AR>  - make the firewall pick all packets intended for
AR> 128.1.1.0 which come to its external interface, filter
AR> them and send into the internal network.
AR> Then, routing should work either if firewall is present
AR> or it is physically removed and router connected to the
AR> network directly.

AR> Is that possible? Which software can accomplish the
AR> last task? As far as I understand, NAT address
AR> redirection does not do it. Maybe, there are easier
AR> ways to solve this problem, without setting up an
AR> additional network?

AR> Thanks a lot,
AR> Alex

The simplest option is to add the ip of the firewall (2) to the
router if you take the firewall offline. Just keep all the clients
believing the firewall is still up.

DHCP has a option to set the gateway and DNS ip of clients on a
central place. It would mean there's another thing that can go wrong.
What if the DHCP is not available?

--
Best regards,
 Alex