Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:42:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "braukmann@tse-online.de" <braukmann@tse-online.de>, FreeBSD Stable List <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Old stuff in 2.2.5

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Studded wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:02:49 +0100, braukmann@tse-online.de wrote:
>
> >It should really be possible to explicitly exclude certain 'packages'
> >from the 'make install' process. It just might be possible now by
> >struggling with the makefiles, but I don't want to modify the delivered
> >build-environment only for being able to select which components I
> >want.
>
> 	I decided to experiment with this, and was able to prevent perl4
> from building during a make world by going into /usr/src/usr.sbin/Makefile
> and deleting perl in the SUBDIRS section.  I commented on this on another
> thread, and a couple people have said that they've taken similar steps
> with success.  I'm not sure what all is involved with sendmail, but you
> might want to give it a go, and tell us how it worked for you. :)

I similarly tried this with BIND, as I was playing with the sbind
distribution from TIS -- it was somewhat more complicated as BIND has
binaries scattered all across the system.  A better option might be to use
flags in the individual Makefiles of major things (perl, bind, sendmail,
etc) to enable/disable their compile..  Or to restructure the entire
FreeBSD compile system, but I'm not sure that that is desirable :).

> 	On another note, I'm taking the fact that no one else commented on
> things that might need to be upgraded on a 2.2-Stable system (other than
> perl and curses) as a good sign. :)  I'm still interested in someone
> 'splaining what a new curses library would do for me, and how hard it
> would be to install if anyone is interested.  I think I have perl beaten
> into submission.

As I mentioned above, the version of BIND in FreeBSD is an issue.  Many
now recommend running BIND 8.1.1, and I would recommend that similarly.  I
have remained with 4.9.x as that is what FreeBSD currently distributing,
but have plans to transition my servers at some point in the future, as I
will be working with the TIS DNSsec sbind8 code shortly.

I am hopeful that FreeBSD will move to bind8 soon, but have not been
following any discussion of the issue, so really cannot discuss anything
about it :).  The change in config files there is an important change
though, and not something to take lightly.

Robert Watson