Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>, FREEBSD-CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Via MVP3 chipset, K6-2 CPU's

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Howard Lew wrote:

> > > I have myself choosen the TMC motherboard
> > > (mostly because of its 5 PCI + 1 AGP slots),
> > > but it will be a few more days (or weeks)
> > > until I find time to build up a new system.
> > >
> > > There is no need to have MVP3 support in
> > > pcisupport.c: There won't be a chip-set
> > > identification message in the boot message
> > > log, but you already know which chip-set
> > > you got ;-)
> > >
> > > (And it is trivial to add the MVP3 device
> > > ID to pcisupport.c. I'll commit the patch
> > > next time I connect to Freefall ...)
> > >

> > I have done some preliminary testing with the AMD K6-2 300MHz chip and the
> > TMC TI5VG+ ATX motherboard for FreeBSD... Looks solid.  There aren't too
> > many motherboards with 5 PCI slots.  The temperature monitor is very
> > interesting because the AMD K6-2 runs much cooler in FreeBSD than Windows
> > 95.  The motherboard also monitors the system temperature, but none of
> > this is accessible in FreeBSD.
>
> What does it use for it's system temporature and motherboard services
> controller?  A LM78 by any chance?

The manual says that it is a Winbond W83781D Hardare monitoring IC to
monitor the system temperature (cpu & system), voltages (core & i/o),
and fan speed (chasis & cpu).  I don't think too many of us will buy the
specialized chasis/cpu fan so it won't detect the rpm for the fan.  And
I don't know what other ICs are currently being used.

It is just an interesting little statistic especially if there are many
systems in a room or many hard drives in a computer (i.e. many hot scsi
drives).  Would be nice to be able to determine from a remote machine what
the temperatures are... sort of like a PC health monitor of sorts.