Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 15:04:41 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU

Gordon,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:32:18AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com> wrote:
> > The solution is to have a script that can tell you these two details:
> >
> > 1. What is the final value of ``*_enable''
> > 2. Which file assigns said final value
> >
> > If you have those two pieces of information, then unraveling a twisted
> > configuration is easier.
> >
> > [Re-]welcome my sysrc(8) script:
>=20
> While this is a very cool script, I have to wonder how far we have
> strayed if we require another tool to tell us how the system is
> configured. Surely we should be aiming for simplicity in our
> implementation and not something incredibly complex.
>=20
> After Jason's proposal, we would have the following list of configuration=
 files:
>=20
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> /etc/rc.conf
> /etc/rc.conf.local

What seems to be lost here is that the below two are "optional" not=20
something that should be created by anything other than the user who needs=
=20
that functionality. Yes having two of the below is a problem. Yes {name}=20
needs to go. But until there is something to replace it in a way that is=20
agreed on we cant get rid of the broken {name} implement.

Hopefully noone is intending on breaking there system by creating=20
thousands of configs because that can be done easier by just spilling into=
=20
rc.conf ;)

This isnt a replacement and rc.conf.d isnt even available in the first=20
place unless end-user creates it. This wont replace rc.conf.