Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 09:35:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif is now Open Source 8)

> > > I think that you no longer have to include Motif with the JDK.
> > > Just let the distribution of Motif come from freebsd.org , i.e.,
> > > a port or a package.
> >
> >Too much hassle IMO.  I'd *much* rather distribute it as part of the
> >package, and I'm looking into how feasible it would be to distribute
> >inside of the JDK.
>
> If this Open Motif can be distributed as a port or package for FreeBSD
> itself (and it seems to me that it can), then what hassle is that for
> JDK on FreeBSD?

It requires two downloads to get a working JDK system.  No other OS
requires multiple packages to work.

People shouldn't have to compile Motif up just to get a non-source
version of the JDK to work.  Versioning problems that can be caused by
folks using different include files and/or X than what was used to build
the JDK.  Bugs that have slipped in due to changes in the Motif port
that negatively effect the JDK.

Shall I go on?

Nate