Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:34:25 +0100
From:      "Gavin Atkinson" <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        "'Pete French'" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Very slow SSh since upgrading machines to RELENG_4_8

This sounds suspiciously like DNS timing out. I seem to remember this is
due to the fact the default config of sshd now enables privilege
seperation. sshd chroots into /var/empty and therefore can't access
/etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.

See, for example,
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=509623+513499+/usr/local/www
/db/text/2003/freebsd-stable/20030323.freebsd-stable

Gavin